Do you have a blog or website that you go to every day to see what is written, one that speaks to you in some way. Was it another blog that gave you to push to create your own?
I will soon celebrate my one year anniversary of creating this blog. A year ago I had never read a blog, I knew what they were but I just never was interested in what others were thinking or doing. I had been a member of a website, Pattern Review, for a few years and I had read what others had written, I had even managed to written a couple of reviews but I always felt awkward, when I posted something there was always fear that people won’t read it or worse yet, they would read it and hate it. But the more I sewed the more I was looking for advice.
Surfing the internet one day I ran across Simple Simon and Company. I haven’t sewn children’s clothes in years and their site is primarily children, their crafts, the garments, recipes. But I was hooked. In a sick kind of way I felt like a stalker, always checking when i got home to see if something new was posted, some new garment had been completed, some great recipe.
It was soon afterwards I discovered their links to others, others that were just like me, oh my gosh, there was a whole internet of people out there, showing their wonderfully created garments, posting tutorials for those like me that needed help, encouraging beginners. It was the push I needed to carve out a small corner of the internet, posts and pictures of my creations, my successes and my failures.
I now have probably 100 blogs that I follow, sometimes I comment, sometimes I don’t but I look at them all. I come home and check out the blog world, some people watch TV, some people go to the movies, but I am here, in front of my monitor, with my fingers at the keyboard, using readers like BlogLovin, WordPress Reader and the Sewcialists Firehose to keep track of what everyone is up to. I have composed a list of some of my favorites.
1. Simple Simon and Co – Check them out for wonderful ideas and sew alongs
2. Coletterie – I saw the Hawthorn pattern, read about the sew along and I was hooked. I had never bought a independent pattern before but my fingers could not click on purchase fast enough. Since then I have been an avid follower.
3. Lucky Lucille – I had never sewn a true vintage pattern before nor was I terribly interested in them until I stumbled across Rochelle’s site. She was hosting a Fall for Cotton Challenge, and soon I was hooked on anything vintage.
4. Tilly and the Buttons – Check out her information site, full of wonderfully created garments, patterns and tutorials.
5. Mrs Hughes – I love what she does, she makes great dresses and has recently become part of a group called The Curvy Sewing Collective, dedicated to sewing for plus size women.
6. Zibergirl Sews – She is always trying out new patterns. Her sewing skills are great and her garments timeless.
7. Sew Much Ado – This site has a great feature called WE DID IT WEDNESDAY! Check it out.
8. The Monthly Stitch – perfect motivation to get your creative juices flowing. New challenges every month.
9. Pinhouse Playmate – Her garments are always spot on
10. Nice Dress, Thanks I made it – she is always giving great information on her site.
This list could go on and on.. there are so many great sites out there, I am so sorry if I have forgotten some that should clearly be on this list. And I am sure there will be additions as soon as tomorrow, the sewing community is huge. I want to personally thank each and every one of you that takes the time to read my endless chatter, have chosen to follow me, have liked a post or just read it. It has been all of you that have made me feel like I am a part of this great community.
4 thoughts on “April 22 – Favorite Blogs and Websites”
Oh my! Thank you for noticing me! 😊 I love reading your blog too!
WHAAAAT!!??? I made your list? That is so awesome! Thank you 😉
Your story about getting into blogging is identical to mine, so much has happened in only one small year, it is like a whole new world! I am so glad you decided to continue blogging, I love seeing what you make, and get a lot of inspiration from “your corner” 🙂
We read the same blogs! I’m horrible. I attempt to follow a couple hundreds. Luckily, not everyone posts everyday and I read fast.
Awe, thanks for the shout-out! I’ll have to check out the other blogs I’ve been missing!